The Data & Science Org
At Deliveroo, we have a world-class data science organisation with a mission to enable the highest quality human and machine decision-making.
We work throughout the company - in product, business and platform teams to answer some of the most interesting questions out there. For example, how can we connect restaurants, riders and customers most efficiently to deliver food as quickly as possible? How do data and technology help restaurants to grow as consumer habits change? How can we predict what someone wants to order for dinner long before the idea has even crossed their mind?
These are just some of the tough problems we are solving at Deliveroo. There is no challenge that cannot be yours; the scope for growth and personal impact is enormous. Data Scientists and Machine Learning Engineers at Deliveroo belong to an expert, thoughtful, and active community with guest lecturers, a robust technical review process, a career progression framework, and plenty of opportunities to learn new things.
As a Machine Learning Engineer, you will play a crucial role in the development, productionisation and maintenance of modern machine learning products. Your responsibilities will involve engineering machine learning models, and refining and updating existing systems. We are looking for someone with outstanding engineering and programming skills, and an understanding of data science and statistics.
The Rider Incentives Team
You'll be part of the Rider Incentives team at Deliveroo, which belongs to the Delivery technology group. The group is made up of ~100 passionate data scientists, economists, machine learning engineers, software engineers, product managers, designers and user researchers. It leverages advanced models and algorithms to make critical real-time decisions autonomously: from optimising vehicle routing to match orders with riders, to dynamically adjusting pricing with econometric precision, we harness the power of theory and data to influence behaviour in our ever-evolving marketplace.
The Rider Incentives team is responsible for building and maintaining pricing algorithms that offer the best possible service to customers at the best possible price for riders. It is an exciting time for the team and we are enthused about what we'll build in the next three years.
This includes developing an explicit optimisation problem, exploring dynamic new pricing strategies, and stepping into "causal" machine learning. If you like thinking through and engineering complex network problems—and the role of incentivisation within them—then this is the position for you.
We evaluate the performance of all our decision-making machines with world-class, bespoke econometric analysis powered by our experimentation platform.
You will report into a Senior Science Manager with support from Staff and Senior Machine Learning Engineers. This is a hybrid role that can be based in either Hyderabad or Bengaluru, with some expectations to come into the office.
- 3+ years' hands-on experience building and maintaining Machine Learning systems; for example, automating training and inference pipelines using job orchestrating frameworks
- Experience with Python and related Machine Learning libraries (e.g., TensorFlow, Keras, XGBoost, Pandas, and Numpy)
- Collaborative skills: able to work alongside data scientists, economists, engineers, product managers and non-technical peers to develop systems that make automated decisions at a massive scale
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant quantitative field, such as Computer Science, Mathematics, or equivalent practical experience.
- Exposure to architectural patterns of large-scale software applications
- Masters in relevant quantitative field
Our mission is to transform the way you shop and eat, bringing the neighbourhood to your door by connecting consumers, restaurants, shops and riders. We are transforming the way the world eats and shops by making access to food and products more convenient and enjoyable. We give people the opportunity to buy what they want, as they want it, when and where they want it.
We are a technology-driven company at the forefront of the most rapidly expanding industry in the world. We are still a small team, making a very large impact, looking to answer some of the most interesting questions out there. We move fast, value autonomy, and we are always looking for new ideas.
Workplace & Benefits
At Deliveroo we know that people are the heart of the business and we prioritise their welfare. Benefits differ by country, but we offer many benefits in areas including healthcare, well-being, parental leave, pensions, and generous annual leave allowances, including time off to support a charitable cause of your choice. Benefits are country-specific, please ask your recruiter for more information.
At Deliveroo, we believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest-growing businesses in a rapidly growing industry.
We are committed to diversity, equity and inclusion in all aspects of our hiring process. We recognise that some candidates may require adjustments to apply for a position or fairly participate in the interview process. If you require any adjustments, please don't hesitate to let us know. We will make every effort to provide the necessary adjustments to ensure you have an equitable opportunity to succeed.
A competitive and comprehensive compensation and benefits package
Time to recharge
- 15 days of annual leave, 12 days of casual leave, and public holidays
- One paid day off each year to volunteer or support a charity of your choice
- Headspace membership
- Gym or fitness membership
- Private medical, medical subsidy or Wellbeing Allowance, dependent upon location
- We pay every employee competitively for the role they are performing in their respective location
- Most employees are eligible for a variable cash bonus that directly rewards individual contributions and is linked with broader company success
- Flexible working hours and location flexibility
- Competitive Parental Leave Policy
- Work-from-home kit
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Roolearn platform, giving you access to content from leading L&D providers
- Employee Resource Groups including Women in Tech, Roo-LGBTQ+, Racial Equity and more