About the team
At Deliveroo we have an outstanding Data Science organisation, with a mission to enable the highest quality human and machine decision-making. We work throughout the company - in product, business and platform teams - using analysis, experimentation, causal inference and machine learning techniques. We are uniquely placed to use data to help make better decisions and improve data literacy across Deliveroo.
Data Scientists at Deliveroo report into our data science management team, and we have a highly active data science community, with guest lecturers, study groups, mentorship programmes, a robust technical review process, and plenty of opportunities to learn new things. Data Scientists can equally progress as technical leads (individual contributors) and as people managers.
About the role
At Deliveroo we're always experimenting. We have hungry customers, eager riders, and busy restaurants, and giving them what they want and need involves continually testing new ideas and nailing down causal relationships. Whether we're working to improve our restaurant recommendations, looking to find a more efficient algorithm for matching orders with riders in our logistics networks, or optimising marketing spend, experimentation helps us make the right decisions.
Experimenting on a three-sided platform and at this scale presents some unique challenges and we're investing heavily in building a world-class platform for designing, deploying, and analysing experiments. We're looking for experts in causal inference to join our growing team of data scientists and help us develop innovative statistical solutions for industrial-scale experimentation.
We're also looking for people who can help us spot opportunities to learn about causal relationships even without experiments – when experiments are either unnecessary or impossible – people for whom DID, TWFE, RDD isn't just an acronym soup.
This is a Hybrid position, requiring you to work from our Hyderabad office 2-3 days per week
What you'll be doing/ Some of the problems we're working to solve:
- How can we design and run experiments in settings where spillover effects are rampant – to either design so as to exclude the possibility, or to design to make the spillovers explicit?
- How can statistical methods help us estimate the long-term impact of features?
- How can we leverage modern statistical algorithms in order to identify any business-relevant heterogeneity of treatment effects?
- How can we avoid running afoul of the selection bias across the many experiments we run? Can we use shrinkage estimators to get closer to the actual impact of an experiment once rolled out?
- How can we use the outcomes of previous experiments to improve our inference for a given experiment?
- How can we learn about the impact of new features in settings with non-random selection into treatment and/or statistical non-compliance?
- Always curious
- Deep analytical mindset
- Ability to think insightfully about business problems
- Masters degree or PhD in Economics/Econometrics, Political Science or similar fields
- 5+ years experience gaining familiarity with experimental design and analysis and/or observational causal inference methods
- A critical thinker
- Proficiency with analytical tools like R/Python and familiarity with SQL
- An ability to translate business needs into data science problems
At Deliveroo these are just some of the tough problems we are solving - and there is no challenge that cannot be yours. The scope for growth and personal impact is enormous.
You will be office or hydrid based in Hyderabad.
Our mission is to transform the way you shop and eat, bringing the neighbourhood to your door by connecting consumers, restaurants, shops and riders. . We are transforming the way the world eats and shops by making access to food and products more convenient and enjoyable. We give people the opportunity to buy what they want, as they want it, when and where they want it.
We are a technology-driven company at the forefront of the most rapidly expanding industry in the world. We are still a small team, making a very large impact, looking to answer some of the most interesting questions out there. We move fast, value autonomy and ownership, and we are always looking for new ideas.
Workplace & Benefits
At Deliveroo we know that people are the heart of the business and we prioritise their welfare. Benefits differ by country, but we offer many benefits in areas including healthcare, well-being, parental leave, pensions, and generous annual leave allowances, including time off to support a charitable cause of your choice. Benefits are country-specific, please ask your recruiter for more information.
At Deliveroo, we believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest-growing businesses in a rapidly growing industry.
We are committed to diversity, equity and inclusion in all aspects of our hiring process. We recognise that some candidates may require adjustments to apply for a position or fairly participate in the interview process. If you require any adjustments, please don't hesitate to let us know. We will make every effort to provide the necessary adjustments to ensure you have an equitable opportunity to succeed.
A competitive and comprehensive compensation and benefits package
Time to recharge
- 15 days of annual leave, 12 days of casual leave, and public holidays
- One paid day off each year to volunteer or support a charity of your choice
- Headspace membership
- Gym or fitness membership
- Private medical, medical subsidy or Wellbeing Allowance, dependent upon location
- We pay every employee competitively for the role they are performing in their respective location
- Most employees are eligible for a variable cash bonus that directly rewards individual contributions and is linked with broader company success
- Flexible working hours and location flexibility
- Competitive Parental Leave Policy
- Work-from-home kit
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Roolearn platform, giving you access to content from leading L&D providers
- Employee Resource Groups including Women in Tech, Roo-LGBTQ+, Racial Equity and more