About the team
We are looking for an Employment Counsel to strengthen our Employment Legal Team in the UK, reporting to our Head of Employment in our London HQ.
Deliveroo’s Employment Legal Team is currently made up of 11 individuals globally. The team provides employment law support to the business across all of its operating and hub markets globally. The team works closely with the business, as well as data protection, finance, tax, data management, the people team, payroll, comms, policy, and public affairs to ensure advice is strategic and holistic. The team works on people matters and high profile issues which are integral to Deliveroo’s operations, covering a huge variety of projects and initiatives such as launching in a new market or rolling out a new people process to the business. The work in the Employment Team is in many cases cutting edge, enabling its members an opportunity to grow and excel to become truly great employment lawyers.
This is a hybrid role which requires you to be based in HQ (Cannon Street) for 3 days per week
What you'll be doing
Objectives of the Role
- Work closely with the Employment Team and other teams in Deliveroo such as data protection, finance, tax, data management, the people team, payroll, comms, policy and public affairs to assist on employment law, business developments, litigation, regulatory and policy matters across our global business;
- Understand, interpret and apply current laws applicable to Deliveroo’s ever expanding business (such as Hop, Editions, advertising and and non-food), as well as identifying what’s coming around the corner and mitigating legal risks;
- Shape the future of employment law by working with Governments and other stakeholders;
- Be an effective business partner to the business - in particular the management team in our London HQ, country general managers, operations teams, product teams, and the people team, on key initiatives and developments; and
- Providing employment input on employment law, business developments, litigation, regulatory and policy matters across our global business;
- Working closely with other teams to provide holistic legal and strategic advice on employment law, litigation, regulatory and policy matters across our global business;
- Working with external counsel, including advice, cost and budget management;
- Communicating to more senior members of the Employment Team on the developments, risks and possible effects of issues;
- Have a passion for us and the gig economy.
- Have an excellent academic background, or equivalent experience and training;
- Have 3 yrs+ Post Qualified Experience;
- Have a strong private practice law firm background (In-house secondment and/or gig economy experience might assist, but is not a prerequisite);
- Have the ability to give succinct, clear, commercial advice
Our mission is to be the definitive food company. We are transforming the way the world eats by making food more convenient and accessible. We give people the opportunity to eat what they want, as they want it, when and where they want it.
Workplace & Diversity
At Deliveroo we know that people are the heart of the business and we prioritise their welfare. We have a range of benefits including healthcare, family, finance, community, convenience, growth, time away and relocation.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing startups in an incredibly exciting space.
A competitive and comprehensive compensation and benefits package
Time to recharge
- 25 days of annual leave (increases with tenure) and public holidays
- One paid day off each year to volunteer or support a charity of your choice
- Headspace membership
- Fitness membership
- Private medical, medical subsidy or Wellbeing Allowance, dependent upon location
- We pay every employee competitively for the role they are performing in their respective location
- Most employees are eligible for a variable cash bonus that directly rewards individual contributions and is linked with broader company success
- Market-leading Parental and Compassionate Leave Policies
- Work-from-home kit
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Roolearn platform, giving you access to content from leading L&D provider
- Employee Resource Groups including Women in Tech, Roo-LGBTQ+, Racial Equity and more
- Free Deliveroo Plus subscription (or equivalent)
- While this varies by country, you’re likely to have monthly team lunches and, if you are in the office, frequent opportunities to try new foods